Wednesday 4 April 2012

Support for the Military in Oxfordshire

Last June I was pleased to have signed the Oxfordshire Military Covenant as reported here.  A few weeks ago, I was telephoned by a sergeant who had read about this on the County Council's website and had spotted my name as a signatory.  He had recently been discharged from the army after having served 22 years of service and was having problems trying to get support and advice in finding accommodation in Oxford on his return.  He was told that he would have to report to the night shelter!

I urged him to contact the Leader of the Council directly as I felt it was important that he heard first hand the concerns of the sergeant rather than through me as Leader of the Opposition.  Being in Opposition is a difficult task, as I have learned over the six years that I have been in this role, and one thing I do know is that sometimes just holding that title means there will be opposition from the ruling group on everything I say!

However, I did table a question for yesterday's Council meeting as follows:

"Given that Oxfordshire was the first county to sign the Armed Forces Military Covenant and the Leader of the Council was one of the first to sign up, what practical help and support is being given to military personnel returning into civilian life in Oxfordshire to help them with accommodation and advice?"

In his written response to me, the Leader asked that my group supported his motion to Council on the subject.  Indeed, we were more than happy to and in fact put forward an amendment which ensured that the whole range of needs to services personnel were included whether it is MOD, NHS or district councils who provide housing.  I was pleased that the Leader did accept this amendment and the motion was passed nem con.

This was an excellent result yesterday in the council chamber which makes everything worthwhile.  Indeed, this was the Leader's last full Council meeting, and it was a very constructive one.    It is the end of a ten year era.  This was actually the Leader's first motion to council during this time, so it was no surprise that it went through unanimously.  A good result for all - but in particular, a good result for our armed forces in Oxfordshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.